Many people go to their doctor once a year for a physical. However, this physical by your primary care physician is not specifically catered to your musculoskeletal system. That’s why you need an annual physical therapy check-up.
Your body is constantly changing and adapting and as a result, aberrant movements and compensatory patterns surface that may or may not cause pain or pathology. The physical therapists at SSOR are experts in biomechanical and postural assessments. Whether you are in pain or not, we can help make sure that you have no issues that will limit you from doing the activities you are passionate about. If you are having pain, we can address it and give you the tools you need to get back on track.
Maybe you’ve had physical therapy before and want to ensure you’re doing your exercises correctly and everything is in working order. Maybe you are getting ready to start working out or training and want to make sure your joints and muscles are in good condition. Maybe you’re having knee pain when you swing your golf club. Your annual PT check-up will help you address any issues in advance so you don’t have to stop your activity and come see us for physical therapy.
At your appointment, we’ll check your joint mobility, spine mobility, flexibility and strength, and perform an overall movement assessment. If necessary, we’ll provide a home exercise program, activity modifications, or pain management as needed. An annual PT check-up truly is preventative maintenance for your musculoskeletal system. Your check-up is completely individualized and customized to you and your daily activities.
When should I consider getting a Physical Therapy checkup?
• Anytime you experience PAIN, discomfort or strain when doing something you love
• Any time you are about to start a fitness program or start training
• Any time you change sports
• After you have completed rehab post-surgery and are trying to resume normal activities
• After an illness or surgery that has left you on bed rest
• At the very least, yearly (to catch things before they grow into issues)
Our team are experts in movement assessment and are passionate about finding problems before they arise, or if you are limited, helping you get back to doing what you enjoy.
You don’t need a prescription from your doctor to take advantage of this service. Note: The physical therapy check-up is a supplement to your annual physical. It is not designed to replace a visit to or an annual physical by your primary care physician, a substitute for a pre-season sports physical, or to diagnose medical conditions, but a huge part of your health.
According to the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA) every individual should pay an annual visit to a physical therapist along with making an annual visit to a physician for a complete physical check- up. Recent discoveries have pointed to the fact that physical therapy provides a holistic approach to overall health and wellness. The APTA recently cited an increase in physical inactivity and its consequences of developing obesity, chronic diseases and other illnesses. The American Heart Association also recommends physical therapy for patients at risk of developing heart disease and as a preventative measure against heart disease. The New England Journal of Medicine also released benefits physical therapy has on reversing certain common back conditions with non- surgical treatments.
Benefits of Annual Physical Therapy Check-Up
Physical therapy should be a part of your annual check-up. A licensed physical therapist will closely examine nerve, muscle, skeletal, cardiovascular, and pulmonary systems through a holistic approach.
- Personalized Program: The physical therapist will also go through your personal health concerns and then work with you on a personalized program so you can actually do something about these concerns.
- Follow Up: In addition to putting together a personalized program a physical therapist will help you to follow through with the program by putting together a year-long plan during your annual check-up.
- Prevent Serious Health Issues: If you schedule an annual check-up with your physical therapist you will receive an annual plan to help improve your health so you have a higher potential to live longer without any serious health issues transpiring.
- Low Cost Solution to Rising Health Care Costs: According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, a research study showed that Americans may be spending money unnecessarily for treatments depending upon the health condition. Physical therapists can offer a personalized treatment plan and education for health and well being to provide an effective holistic alternative while reducing the costs of health care for the patient.
- Reverse the Aging Process: Studies have shown that a regular training program reverses aging at the cellular level. A physical therapist can ensure that you stay with the program and maintain the proper diet and exercise which helps to slow the aging process.
More often than not, most individuals get too busy or they are simply too tired to take care of their health. If you set up a year-long plan with a physical therapist you will avoid some of the health problems that will develop as a result of living a fast-paced and stressful lifestyle. You will also be more likely to stick with the regimen if you have a physical therapist to guide you on a regular basis. Call us today!